Thursday, February 3, 2011

Concepts and Expectations

There is a lot of confusion as disturbances and unrest spread across the Middle East. Often, concepts and ideas are bended and twisted to cater to the events. One such concept is freedom, living your life the way you like it, expressing your thoughts without fear of discrimination and unfair and/or occasional violent reaction. The recent events in Tunisia and Egypt have reminded me this once again.

I am an atheist. Carelessly disclosing this fact would cost me a head in Afghanistan, in Saudi Arabia I would probably rot in a prison, it would get me some number of kicks and stones in Iran, I would be cast out in Egypt and I'd manage in Turkey but there will be a price to pay. When people say and hope for freedom if and when those dictators flee, I beg to differ. I do not expect freedom. True, life will be much better, less restrictions, a popular government but that is all. Is it bad? Of course not! Should we call it a democracy? No!

Do not get me wrong. I do not have the slightest intention to despise those revolutions. It is a big step towards the right direction. And unlike many, I do not have a baseless fear that religious zealots will take over and nuke the world. Yes, Islam will be a dominant factor shaping the society and politics, and we shall have to wait and see if those countries will evolve to free and democratic nations in the not so near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment